Calling games I like "terrible" is rude. ;) Big thanks for keeping supporting your older games.
Massive "Polishing a Turd" Update
It's been a (very!) long time coming, but I have finally decided to update Ultionus. This new version overhauls the original game in almost every way imaginable, short of making it an entirely new thing. Not that it makes Ultionus a good game or anything - it's still terrible, but this RC6 release drags it, kicking and screaming into a new decade.
So, what's new?
- Ported the game to GameMaker Studio 2, so Windows scheduler shouldn't be an issue anymore.
- 60fps gameplay (30fps option still exists if you want to run it on a piece of moldy bread).
- Larger play window. Where the original game's resolution was 320x200, it is now 426x240.
- Sped up the gameplay by 25%. This can be disabled from Advanced options.
- Optional 4:3 mode.
- Extended intro.
- User-definable controls.
- Support for modern gamepads.
- End-of-level cutscenes.
- Most boss fights have been re-balanced, with added telegraph visuals and sounds.
- Greatly improved player controls (though still no walking-while-shooting, as it would make it a different game).
- Completely replaced player graphics.
- Rapid-fire powerup now works continuously.
- Adjusted level layouts to eliminate some of the most annoying jumps.
- Changed the Game Over screen (sorry)
- Added Boss Rush Mode unlocked by beating the game on Hardcore difficulty.
- Added multiple language support. So far only Russian and English are included, but if anyone wants, more languages can be added.
If anyone wants to play the original, pre-update version, it's available in the Legacy beta branch.
This update only affects the Windows and Linux builds. Unfortunately Mac is no longer supported.
Old saves aren't compatible with the update.
If everything goes smoothly, a Nintendo Switch version of Ultionus should be released at the end of March 2022.